National Society for Democracy and Law
Democracy is based on essential requirements and it can not based on or achieved without it, especially awareness and freedom. So searching for democracy without freedom and awareness is searching for mirage. Since democracy is a system based on faith and science which needs organized values. Therefore, the National Society for Democracy and Law registration no. (7313).The organization was established by an initiative of educated Palestinian youth, and it was supported by many national figures to be as the light candle for those they looking for freedom and knowledge.
The Society`s Vision:
The society aspires to be the leader in access to a free democratic society prevails with equality and justice where every segments of the Palestinian society enjoy with equal rights and duties.
The Society`s Mission:
NSDL seeks to disseminate and promote the concepts of democracy and human rights for all segments of Palestinian society, and is working to raise public awareness to the principles, values and the foundations of human rights through its programs and the professional qualified staff, in addition to monitoring and documenting all violations against the citizens and individuals of the various entities and to prosecute Perpetrators according to international and local conventions.
Objectives of the Society:
- Stabilizing rule of law principles and human rights respect.
- Educating citizens of their rights and duties and the responsibilities entrusted to them.
- Documenting the most important events relating to rule of law and human rights violations.
- Defending for human rights in accordance with the Palestinian National Authority established laws and legislations and to the international conventions of human rights.
- Participating in establishing the civil society organizations.
The organization consists of several departments to achieve its objectives and they are as follows:
- Monitoring and Documentation Department.
- Legal Support Department.
- Women Department .
- Department to promote human rights
The Most Important Events and Activities of the Organization in the Previous Duration:
- Organizing several workshops interested in the mechanisms of democratic Action
- to train others.
- Conducting seminars ,open dialogue and exchange of views on the concept of democratic mechanisms and application.
- Organizing many peaceful protest rallies calling the strengthening of the rule of law. The organization of many events field which calls for the renunciation of violence and the elimination of lawlessness.
- Monitoring and documenting violations of citizens in the governorate of Rafah
- Issuing pamphlets and studies concerning with the promotion of human rights.
- Establish the legal clinic No.( 9 ) to provide legal aid and counseling and mediation for vulnerable groups.
Local Events and Activities of the Society:
- Organizing a series of workshops, meetings , consultation workshops and training for citizens in the framework of the project of “Promoting the right to development and enhancing vulnerable groups` access basic services “DAFE”, funded and supported by UNDP/PAPP 2012.
- Participation of 160 community individuals and citizens within a rally entitled “Human Rights between the hammer of the occupation and the anvil of division 2012”.
- Disseminating (697) individuals of the community with legal awareness, providing (63) legal advice and consultations and training (144) of professionals and training (50) persons of reconciliation figures and community leaders , in the framework of the project of “Legal aid and empowerment for vulnerable groups in Gaza Strip”, supported by UNDP in 2011.
- Executing (40) workshops and meetings in the framework of the project of ” Our Hands can Make Change”1,2 with cooperation with Trocaire International in 2010 and 2011.
- Training (20) individuals of youth of the two sexes on the concept of the rule of law to implement the project of “Educating the school`s students the rule of law concept”
- Publish the statements that concern on prosecution the Israeli violation of human rights.
- Participate in monitoring the second legislative election process in 2006.
- Implementation of many of the meetings and sit-ins, mass rallies to demand national unity.
- Organizing a mass protest rally in collaboration with a network of NGOs boiled the Rafah crossing to demand the lifting of the siege on the Palestinian people 14/7/2007
- Organizing public festival honoring the human rights defenders, Rafah ,5/11/2007.
- Format Network for NGOS for reinforcing the rule of Law and protecting Human Rights including more than( 50) society of CSOs in Rafah and Khan Younis in 2008.
- Launching an electronic campaign to solidarity with the Palestinian people to break the siege in 2008.
- Organizing a human chain against cost raising in Gaza Strip and demanding for supporting the basic goods in 4/6/2008.
- Implementing about (20) meetings and workshops on raising the awareness of youth of their rights and duties through “Youth is a Right and Responsibility” project, 2008.
- Educating (428) citizens through ( 20) educational meeting concerning on Human Rights and democracy Culture, in Rafah and Khan-Younis governments, in cooperation with civil Participation Program.
- Participating in several activities and popular events, in cooperation with civil society organization in Gaza Strip.
Activities and International Events :
- NSDL participated in an international conference on the role of civil society in ensuring adherence to international humanitarian law and the protection of human rights of civilians in times of armed conflicts applied to the cases form Lebanon ,the Gaza Strip and the occupied territories .The conference was organized by United Nations Development Program in cooperation with the National Council for Human Right in Cairo, Egypt in December2006.
- NSDL attended a regional workshop entitled “Toward the Development of unrighteous performance of Arab electoral process “under the welfare of the United Nations Development Programs Programmer on Governance in the Arab Region in cooperation with the Nation Council for Human Rights that took place in Cairo ,Egypt in March2006.
- NSDL Participated in an international conference of the United Nations Development Programe UNDP in cooperation with the National Council for Human Rights in Egypt, entitled “The role of civil society in ensuring compliance with international humanitarian law and protection of human rights of civilians in times of conflict.
- Receiving an invitation to participate in training course on “Human Rights System in the United Nation “in Geneva, in cooperation with the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung –Switzerland ,November2008(Unattended due to the Israeli closure of the crossing of the Gaza Strip).
- Participating in an international conference on extra-judicial and prosecution of Israeli war criminals through an invitation of the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights in cooperation with cooperation with Arab Organization for Human Rights and the Arab Center for Independence of the judiciary and legal profession, in Cairo, on November 8, 2008
- Participating in sending pleading for the United Nation general security sir Ban Kemon in cooperation with Arab associations ,demanding for immediate intervene to stop the Israeli war Gaza Strip,1/1/2009.
- Participating in the strategy meeting on the reform of the laws of civil society hold on 27/28 / May 2011